Friday, December 10, 2010

In the accidental footsteps of Blair...review of Gerome...french pastries...and my birthday

There's a first time for everything.
I had my first macaron. It was a disappointment for its price, personally, but definitely something very original.
No photo, but I'm sure everyone knows what they look like (or you can google it to find out). Early birthday present to myself :D.
My sister got us French pastries for breakfast on my birthday: pain au chocolat (the best!), cinnamon roll, and croissant. With a nice bowl of coffee to accompany it, I was off to an awesome start to the day!



On my actual birthday...Class was cancelled due to the snow, and the teachers not being able to make it (due to the snow), so I went to my new favorite museum, since my first visit a couple weeks before, the Musée d'Orsay with a friend.
It just so happened I discovered that Blair Waldorf's favorite Monet painting is in the Musée d'Orsay. Somehow it had me feeling like I was part of their world for a minute to stand there and look at that painting. So I stood there for a little while, but sadly no prince walked up to meet me heh heh. Then again, I was far more interested in seeing the exhibition on Gérôme, an artist I had never heard of before, but who I realized I had seen allot of his paintings before, in someone's screensaver collection. A lot of Arab and Moroccan scenes, but what is amazing is his skill in detail, with color, how one's eye is drawn into the scene and a feeling of peace is conveyed, despite some scenes that are far from nice, it is portrayed as the normal part of life that it is. I had heard that there is always something hidden to be discovered with close scrutiny in all of his pictures. Some are the faint outline of a woman in a dark doorway, or a detail of clothing or architecture not noticed at first glance. So much detail, it almost looks like a photograph, but more styled, with the well defined style that is Gérôme.

 I went to the Champs Elysées afterwards where we landed right in the middle of the Marche de Noël, so we walked around for awhile looking at all of the fascinating food and gifts.
Party was planned, but postponed until the weekend after exams! Overall a good day, it even snowed, my first white birthday since I was five I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment